Since starting my observational class at Esquimalt High School, the most used technique that I have observed is teachers telling stories. I have seen storytelling being used in a science class to relate, why safety in labs is important, as well in a textiles class in order to make connections with the students. I think storytelling is an important way for teachers to make connections with students, relate abstract concepts or ideas to everyday life, and it also makes the teacher seem more approachable and personable to the students. Before reading “The hidden importunacy of teaching with stories” by A.J Juliani, I did not know the importance or the science behind storytelling. I found it interesting how when telling a story that has important information embedded in it, teachers are able to reach students both emotionally and biochemically and thus can increase the learning experience (Juliani, n.d.). I also found it interesting when the author pointed to the fact that storytelling is rooted in history (Juliani, n.d.). I wonder then why and how have STEM courses shifted away from this storytelling approach? If storytelling is able to engage students as well as make complex theories less complicated, why don’t we use this in science?

Photo by Sam Woolfe

Reference:

Juliani, A. . (n.d.). THE HIDDEN IMPORTANCE OF TEACHING WITH STORIESNo Title. A.J Juliani. Retrieved from http://ajjuliani.com/hidden-importance-teaching-stories/